Sunday, March 21, 2010

How Down Syndrome Has Affected Me....

here it is, our first world down syndrome day. locally we did not have an organized activity, so i've just celebrated with my online community of friends. what a blessing they are! with wyatt's continued "isolation," we couldn't do much, so maybe next year we'll plan a celebration! this past week, as we've all posted tons of publicity about this day, it's also been a time of reflection for me. one mom put together a photo montage of our kids, and asked "what does Down syndrome mean to you, or how has it affected your life? these are my thoughts on that question....

down syndrome has given me a greater compassion for differences in others, whether it be a disability, physical or mental illness, poverty, homelessness...the list goes on and on. mercy has never been my primary "gift," and God is stretching me in that area....oh how He's stretching me! down syndrome has given me a greater capacity to love and understand others. it has also given me a greater appreciation for the little things in life, wyatt's small daily accomplishments, causing celebrations that formerly were not celebrated! down syndrome has given me friendships i never would have had, a bond that only parents of children with special needs can share. it's shown me there's no room in my life for selfishness, self-centeredness. it's given me an intolerance for "foolish," unimportant "stuff..." life's too short to waste. i need to make the most of every day that God has given me...to serve Him and fulfill His plan for my life....

this is just a tiny little bit of how down syndrome has affected me..... ramblings....i was reminded at church today that i don't need to fear ....anything....including wyatt's future as a baby/boy/man with down syndrome. as i've said many times, God has a plan for us, for wyatt; i know He IS and WILL equip us for that plan, i just need to seek and follow Him daily, hourly, minute by minute...NO FEAR...."For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

so, happy world down syndrome day 2010! thanks for travelling this journey with me..

No comments:

Post a Comment