Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Don't Like Drama....Even Online!

well, i now know that there can be real drama online, not just in person.  maybe now i will learn to "keep my mouth shut" online!   interestingly, in our Bible study this week, beth moore had talked about being "punk'd" in her ministry.  someone had posed to be one thing to her and they then revealed that it had been a lie.  not sure the details, but we've been working on that in Bible study this week, and how we must be careful not to be deceived.  we must use the discernment of the Holy Spirit to guide us in every area of our lives.  we have been given this great gift of His presence, and it is up to us to allow Him full access! 

her warnings to be careful, especially in regards to the internet, and how someone can pretend to be anyone they want to be online, made me especially cautious when questions arose about a particular online fb friend who was asking for money to help her family, and their young son with Down syndrome.  in this huge online Ds family that i'm a part of, we have a very diverse group from all over the world, united by that extra twenty-first chromosome!  i know very few of them first-hand, however.   apparently several people were very concerned when this mother started asking for money.  naturally, since we don't really know each other, many folks were immediately suspicious.   i was involved in one conversation about this.....and although i don't believe i said anything "wrong," i just wish that i had not even joined in the conversation!  there was no reason to!    this woman's feelings were hurt by many people who questioned the validity of her requests and identity.  i have apologized to her and feel really bad for her....life is so different in other countries....i realize i have no idea how "good" we have it in the united states in regards to services for our kiddos w/Ds! 

so what have i learned about this?   i don't have to be involved in a conversation that i really have nothing to do with!  i certainly don't want to "judge" someone i don't know...actually who am i to"judge" anyone?  i can pray for that person....that their needs will be met, physically, financially, mentally and spiritually.  i want to present the love of God to everyone i have contact with, that they will be drawn to Him through my life.   i never want to do anything that will push someone away from Him, and the great gift of salvation available through His son Jesus Christ.   peace....

"So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God. "    (Philippians 1:9-11   The Message)





4 comments:

  1. You are so sweet and genuine and tender hearted, Penny, and that shines through on your blog. Don't feel bad for being a little cautious-there is just a lot of deceit out there, and it sure does contribute to us being a little suspicious in this day and age. I wish more people were as tender hearted as you are:) hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a tough position to be in, Penny. I saw that exchange, and felt bad for everyone involved. We *do* have to be cautious, and it's wonderful how many people there were trying to think of alternate ways to help this person, but the reality is, the only support we can really offer is emotional support. I hope things work out. You did nothing wrong in my opinion, and you're right - we do have it good here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a hard situation and I admire your high moral standards for yourself as a Christian woman! Even though you didn't say anything hurtful, you feel shame for even being involved. I'm not saying you should be ashamed, I can't imagine you saying anything to be ashamed OF, but this is something women my age especially have a problem with, taking responsibility for their words. Me included. And you're right that the best thing is to keep our mouth shut and pray for them. Now if I could just start doing it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed that exchange. I thought that woman lived in the US, and was trying to adopt from another country. Maybe I have her confused with someone else... anyway... I am confused often when I hear people say that they don't judge. I mean... when do you go from having values, standards, and morales to being opinionated and judgemental? I am sure that I am "guilty" of judging things, and often I make no apologies for it. I have a dear friend that told me that our own Dear Jesus is very black & white too. You either follow his rules, commandments, etc. or you don't. Period. But yet his love always manages to shine through. I hope I can just live honestly, and be true to what I know. And if I know that there is no reason to add my views I pray to be wise, and to pray without ceasing.:-)

    ReplyDelete